Tuesday 22 May 2012

Keeley Hawes: The Power To Save Children's Lives!

When UNICEF asked me to get involved with Soccer Aid and suggested I make a film in Djibouti, I must admit I thought, 'where on earth is that?'. Now I can't imagine I'll ever forget the children I met in this tiny East African nation, which has been ravaged by the worst drought in 50 years.
The world's media have focused on neighbouring Somalia, just a few kilometres from where we were. But in Djibouti, away from the cameras, one in every five children is malnourished and suffering terribly from the worst food crisis in decades.

I came back from Djibouti a different person. Since the trip I've followed news of Soccer Aid closely. There's plenty to follow and I am extremely proud that the British Government have pledged their support in helping UNICEF save more children's lives by matching money raised in Soccer Aid 2012 pound for pound.

This will inspire more fundraisers to get involved, because for every pound the public donates, DFID will donate the same, so fundraisers can celebrate their double impact. It's as simple as if you give £5 then children benefit from £10 worth of help.
Read more HERE!

No comments: